The Boosting Green Employment and Enterprise Opportunities in Ghana (GrEEn) project is aimed at creating greater economic and employment opportunities for youth, women and returning migrants by promoting and supporting sustainable, green businesses in Ashanti and Western.
The GrEEn acceleration programme aims at serving and strengthening enterprises in:
- Eco-inclusive business model development
- Financial management
- Product development
- Access to Finance
- Market development and linkages
- Business regulatory compliance
- Investment readiness (under the Acceleration Programme)
- 6 months business development support from our partner hubs
- Access to mentors and coaches who are industry experts and successful business owners
- Improved Access to funding – through innovative financial services
- Market linkages to complementary service providers and actors in the green ecosystem
- Expert support to achieve business growth and expansion (Acceleration Programme)
Agriculture, including Climate-smart Agiculture, Agri-businesses and Agro-processing.
Energy, including clean cooking, solar systems, energy efficiency.
WASH, including Waste management, Water purification, Recycling, Cleaning & Sanitary products.
How The Green and Innovative SMEs Are Selected!
- All applications submitted to GrEEn are assessed
- GrEEn staff, its partner hubs and external experts review the applications according to a standard set of criteria
- SMEs that pass the initial screening will be invited to complete a more detailed application form
- SMEs that are shortlisted will be invited to an interview: a panel consisting of GrEEn staff, its partner hubs and external experts will discuss the business idea and model in detail with the applicants. The judges will score applicants according to a set of selection criteria.
- The owner(s) of the business must be aged 15-35 years. (*Women can be above the age of 35, but no older than 40).
- The business must have a high potential for job creation among youth.
- The business must have been registered for at least two years.
- The business can be for-profit or not-for-profit.
- The entrepreneur must be available for the duration of the programme and must be able to attend at least 80% of all programme activities.
- The entrepreneur must be willing to make investments and changes in their business structure or operations (e.g. correct gaps in their governance structure, financial management, comply with standards, commit equity or savings, etc.)
- The entrepreneur must be willing to make changes to adapt his/her business model to be eco-inclusive or environmentally friendly.
- The business must have an innovative product or service in Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) that is financially viable.
- The entrepreneur must be resident and have their business located in the Ashanti or Western Region for at least 6 months.
- Businesses located outside the Ashanti and Western regions must have significant operations in either of the two regions, and must demonstrate ability to create jobs in the said regions.
- The entrepreneur must not be engaged in any conflicting programme (i.e incubation and acceleration and/or dedicated business development services) for the duration of the programme.