As part of the SNV green initiative, SNV has introduced the GrEEn Networking series, with an objective to provide a platform for learning and exchange of ideas as well as advancing the green agenda.
Innohub organised its first GrEEn Networking event in March under the theme: “Green financing and Carbon Trading: How to access them”. It was facilitated by Isaac Asomani, Investment Manager at Wangara Green Ventures.
Some of the highlights of the presentation are listed below;
- The planet is becoming warmer; the climate is changing
- As the global temperature has increased, so has the number of reported natural disasters.
- There is a call for innovation in the allocation of financial resources to combat climate change.
- Putting a price on carbon helps to incorporate climate risks into the cost of doing business.
- There are broadly two(2) ways of pricing carbon namely cap and trade program and carbon tax.
- To participate in carbon trading, projects must be verified before carbon credits can be issued.
- The Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) is a carbon crediting mechanism through which credits are issued to projects that reduce or remove greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The VCS Program is currently the largest issuer of carbon credit. This is administered and managed by Verra.
- SCS Global Services works closely with project developers and landowners to provide third-party verification for businesses in Ghana.
- Carbon credits can be sold over-the-counter to individual companies. SGS, SCS global and Verra offer market facilitation for carbon credit sellers.
- Green finance is any structured financial activity – a product or service – that’s been created to ensure a better environmental outcome.
- Sustainable finance is defined as investment decisions that take into account the environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors of an economic activity or project.
What to expect
Online on-demand mentoring program:
- 1:1 advising and support from a combination of Google advisors and selected external advisors
- Assistance with technology, product, design, growth, funding, and leadership training
- 1:many inspirational talks, panel discussions, and workshops led by experts
- Membership in a collaborative, supportive community of social impact partners & investors
- Equity-free support
Who is it for?
Google is looking for promising startups who meet the following criteria:
- Focusing on one or more SDGs
- Leveraging technology to achieve their goals
- Need the support of Google experts to solve bespoke technical or business challenges
- Proactive teams willing to learn and grow
If you want to a part of this opportunity, click on the application link to apply: